Syn Free Lemon Meringue Pie
Use a electric whisk. You can do it by hand but it will take time and you'll get a much lighter meringue with an electric whisk.
- 4 tbsp Sweetener
- 1 Tub Quark (250g)
- 1 Lemon
- 3 Eggs (Medium)
- Grate lemon rind and juice.
- Separate egg whites/yolks.
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F
- Put the Quark into a mixing bowl and give it a good stir/beat to loosen it up and make it smooth and creamy.
- Lightly grate the lemon rind on the fine side of a grater. Add to the mixing bowl.
- Juice the lemon and add to the mixing bowl.
- Tip: Put the lemon in the microwave for 10-30 seconds (depending on wattage). This releases the juice and you get more.
- Add egg yolks and 2 tablespoons of sweetener.
- Give the contents of the mixing bowl a vigorously stir with a big spoon. Make sure the yolks are broken and thoroughly blended in.
- Split the lemon/quark mixture between 4 ramekins. Fill to just over halfway (2/3 max). Use another ramekins rather than over fill.
- If you don't have ramekins you can put in a pie dish (and portion after it's cooked).
- Tip: If you use a pie dish don't use a small deep one. If you pack this too deep you'll end up with gooey eggy filling and under-cooked meringue.
- Put on a baking tray and cook for 10 minutes.
- *While they are in the oven*
- Put the egg whites in bowl and whisk until you get a white foam that is stiff enough to hold a peak when you remove the whisk.
- Tip: Don't use the bowl you've just used for the quark unless you've washed and thoroughly dried it.
- Gradually add 2 tablespoons of sweetener into the white foam (while still whisking). Don't tip the sweetener in; sprinkle it like you would do putting it on cereal.
- Tip: Use powdered sweetener if you can. Granulated will work, powdered is better.
- You can over whisk it, so stop as soon as it is thick and glossy and holds its shape.
- *This is where an electric whisk comes in handy otherwise you could still be whisking when the lemon filling needs to come out of the oven*
- After 10 minutes, take the ramekins out of the oven and gently spoon meringue equally over each one.
- Put back in the oven and cook for 5 minutes.