Black Bean and Quinoa Chili Bowl
This recipe merges the delicious wonders of a burrito bowl with the savory thickness of warm chili. This ultra-healthy hybrid is perfect on a chilly day or when you’re pressed for time and crave a satisfying supper.
Our vegetarian Black Bean and Quinoa Chili Bowl pairs juicy fire-roasted tomatoes and flavorful corn kernels with warm, hearty black beans. Quinoa adds nutty texture and a host of health benefits thanks to its status as a nutritional powerhouse.
Yields: 6 servings:
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (any variety), well rinsed
- 1-1/2 cups corn kernels, frozen, from the cob, or drained from the can
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes (BPA-free can)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth (add more for a thinner soup)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Saute onion and bell pepper in skillet with olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the onion is softened and translucent.
- Add minced garlic. Cook for an additional 30 seconds, until golden and fragrant.
- Stir in stock, diced tomatoes with juice, quinoa, salt, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
- Simmer over medium high heat until the quinoa softens, about 20 minutes.
- Add corn kernels and black beans. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooked through.