Skinny Bell Pepper Nacho Boats
|Skinny Bell Pepper Nacho Boats|
Of course it tastes good, but it might not be on the list of healthy and nutritious recipes, especially when you try to eat healthy! However, you can satisfy your desire for this classic Tex-Mex snack without worrying about your waist circumference by adding paprika to regular tortilla chips. The recipe for Bell Pepper Nacho Boats requires delicious ingredients, such as lean meat, savory spices, juicy salsa, and liquid cheddar cheese.
Yields: 18 boats
- 3 bell peppers
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 cup salsa, no sugar added
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, reduced-fat
- Remove seeds, core, and membrane from bell peppers then slice each one into 6 verticle pieces where they dip down. Set sliced bell peppers aside.
- Cook ground turkey over medium-high heat, breaking up as it cooks. Cook until the turkey loses it's pink color and is cooked through. Drain off any fat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine cooked turkey with spices and salsa. Evenly distribute mixture into the bell pepper boats, top with cheese.
- Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and peppers are hot. Optional ingredients: sliced Jalepeno peppers, diced avocado, fat-free Greek yogurt or sour cream, or sliced green onions.
- NOTE: If you prefer much softer bell peppers, add a few tablespoons water to the bottom of a large casserole dish, add filled nachos, cover tightly with foil and bake 15 minutes.