Winter Detox Moroccan Sweet Potato Lentil Soup Recipe
|Winter Detox Moroccan Sweet Potato Lentil Soup Recipe|
Moroccan sweet potato lentil soup recipe that warms the soul. This soup is made in a slow cooker and requires almost no work at all. Plus, it makes the whole house smell warm and cozy.
- 1 cup of celery, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped or pressed
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (or more to taste)
- 6-7 cups low sodium broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 1 pound of sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into small pieces
- ¼ cup of lemon juice or lemon slices to be served
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup of onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 ½ cup green or brown lentils, rinsed and taken
- 1 ½ teaspoon EVERY coriander AND cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon EVERY smoke paprika, cinnamon powder, and turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon of nutmeg powder
- 2 ½ cup baby spinach, roughly chopped
- Add sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, red peppers, garlic, lentils, spices, and 6 cups of broth to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or at high for 4-6 hours. Check the lentils for maturity. If your lentils have been in the kitchen for a while, note that they will take longer to cook.
- Add half the soup to the blender together with a little extra broth (½ cup or more) and blend until smooth. Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender directly on the slow cooker but be sure not to mix all the soups if you want to have a thicker texture. Add puree back to the slow cooker. Stir baby spinach and lemon juice. Cover the slow cooker, remove the plug, and let the ingredients hang out for about 30 minutes until the spinach wilts.
- Season with salt, pepper, and curry powder to taste. Thin with additional broth for desired consistency. Serve warm with whipped Greek yogurt, fried pita bread, and tons of fresh herbs (parsley or cilantro) on it.